Monday 6 November 2023

Vegetarian diet=kindness to animals!

 

Saint Francis of Assisi was an animal lover. Once, when he spoke to a great number of birds in a forest, he told them, “My brother and sister birds, you should praise your Creator and always love him." 

Hello dear friend,

Hope you are keeping well. Thanks so much for stopping by!

Today I'm thinking about the call for more of us to stop eating meat to cut back on our carbon footprints. As some of you may already know I am a vegetarian, and have been for many years. And carbon footprints never came into my decision way back when. I just decided that I didn't want anyone killing animals for me to eat. When I set out on that road I discovered that, after the initial adjustment, it worked brilliantly for me. The food I eat is tasty, colourful, filling, and gives me a ton of energy. In other words I thrive on it. I highly recommend it.

Over the years, when people have asked me: What do you eat? I've answered: I eat what you eat except I  don't eat flesh. Many people have also asked me: Can you eat this, or that, or the other? My reply is that I can eat whatever I want. It's my choice. All of life is a choice!

As I am an animal lover I feel calmer in my conscience not eating flesh. Also, as a Christian, this chimes better with my wanting to be a loving human being. I do know, though, that many of my fellow Christians are not vegetarian, but that is their choice and they need to follow their own conscience. I also have long been aware that the foods I eat take up far less of the planet's resources to produce. That's where the carbon footprint aspect comes in now, but we didn't call it that then; terms change.

Anyway, even if you don't want to stop eating flesh entirely, I know that many of you enjoy a veggie meal regularly which is great. You might like to take a look at the Vegetarian Society, which has been in existence for 175 years, for lots of info and recipes and so on. For more facts and figures and great recipes visit the Vegetarian Society website.  World Vegetarian Day, established in 1977, is celebrated on 1st October. 


When I turned vegetarian we certainly were not mainstream. ThenEnter the vegan revolution...

The buzz about carbon footprints seem to have triggered that vegan switch. As a vegetarian I was pleased when that happened. The Vegan Society was actually founded in 1944. World Vegan Day began in 1994.  It is celebrated on 1st November.

I have in the past tried a vegan diet and after about ten days I could hardly put one foot in front of the other: no energy! So although I do eat some vegan meals I am sticking with vegetarian. The difference is that I eat dairy and eggs and vegans don't. Having lived in Greece for many years, even though I'm back in my native Wales, I still enjoy the Mediterranean way of eating: lots of fruit, veggies, nuts and seeds, and legumes and pulses, and so on, plus cheeses and eggs.   

Q. Are you a vegetarian or vegan? Whichever you are do you enjoy your food and does your lifestyle choice fill you with energy?

Q. Have you tried to go vegetarian or vegan but given up?  

I'd love to know what you think about this whole subject.  I'd like to know your thoughts and experiences on this.  

NEWS! NEWS! NEWS!

I have been asking God for guidance and listening to His replies for many years. I share my methods in Pray Then Listen, A heart-to-heart with God.

Check out Pray Then Listen In UK / In US  / In Singapore

Available as a Kindle version or paperback! 


Set on the green and beautiful Greek island of Corfu in this novel I show the ever-present backstory of life, as I interpret the supernatural elements of our dilemmas and choices. 

I know, that no matter what your beliefs or experiences, you will surely recognize the tussles of my characters, as tussles in your own life....  Enjoy!

Click on the following links to check out my novel, Angel at the Paradise Hotel In UK /  In US / In Singapore

Available as a Kindle version or paperback!

You may like to see my blog on the Backstory of this novel

I wrote 9 Days to Heaven, How to make everlasting meaning of your life as my personal evangelization effort.  

Check out 9 Days to Heaven In UK / In US / In Singapore 

Available as a Kindle version or paperback!


Here is the link for the YouTube book trailer:  9 Days to Heaven 

For articles, plus more info about me and my work please visit my website.  (www.teresaodriscoll.co.uk)

I'd love to hear your thoughts or feedback on this post.


God bless,

Teresa 

PS. About the links to Singapore, please see my blog post Singapore and Christianity  


No comments:

Post a Comment