Friday 29 September 2023

St Augustine: Sinner to saint through his mother's prayers!

 


Saint Augustine of Hippo by Philippe de Champaigne

Hello and Welcome! 

Thanks so much for dropping in to read my blog. I hope you are well and that this post blesses you. Today, after recent discussions with friends and relatives, my mind is full of thoughts of disappointed Christian parents. You see, a number of them have children, some now grown-up, who are not practising Christians, some not even believers, and some have become 'lost' to them. Of course, this is a great sadness in their life. Perhaps you too are experiencing the same sadness.

If this is blighting your life I want to give you hope. Perhaps you know about St Monica, the mother of St Augustine of Hippo theologian and philosopher. Monica, a very holy woman, was greatly concerned about her son as he was leading a hedonistic life and ignoring God. Her prayers for her son’s soul were answered in a spectacular way. Augustine, once converted, became such a paragon of virtue that the church holds him up as a shining example of sainthood. I once heard a priest comment on how this turnaround came about. He said that Monica ‘willed it’ by her constant and hopeful prayers for her son.

I have seen similar prayers of fellow-parishioners being answered by the returning of their off-spring to Christ. In my own life, for different reasons, I can assure you that God DOES answer our prayers, so please give Him a chance to answer yours - in every trial and situation you may find yourself in. If a loved one of yours has turned away from Christ, or, for example, rejects even His existence try saying this prayer, or one of your own, from your heart.

Prayer for a loved one to draw close to God

“Dear Heavenly Father,

I love You with all that is in me, and so I dare to say:

Please Lord, please bless my loved one [name them] with the gift of Faith.

I ask this, in confidence, in the name of Your Son, Jesus Christ. Amen.”

If your prayer is not answered immediately, do not give up hope that God will answer, in His own time. Remember St Monica and her years of fervent prayer. I am praying regularly for some of my loved ones who have not yet come to Faith…

If anything in this post has piqued your interest in my work you may like to take a look at my books. I've put a few links too as maybe even just taking a 'look inside' may bring you comfort or blessings...


I have been asking God for guidance and listening to His replies for many years. I share my methods in Pray Then Listen, A heart-to-heart with God.

Check out Pray Then Listen In UK / In US  / In Singapore / In Australia / In New Zealand / In Hong Kong

Available as a Kindle version or paperback! 


Set on the green and beautiful Greek island of Corfu in this novel I show the ever-present backstory of life, as I interpret the supernatural elements of our dilemmas and choices. 

I know, that no matter what your beliefs or experiences, you will surely recognize the tussles of my characters, as tussles in your own life....  Enjoy!

Click on the following links to check out my novel, Angel at the Paradise Hotel In UK /  In US / In Singapore / In Australia / In New Zealand / In Hong Kong

Available as a Kindle version or paperback!

I wrote 9 Days to Heaven, How to make everlasting meaning of your life as my personal evangelization effort.  

Check out 9 Days to Heaven In UK / In US / In Singapore 

Available as a Kindle version or paperback!


Here is the link for the YouTube book trailer:  9 Days to Heaven 


For articles, plus more info about me and my work please visit my website.  (www.teresaodriscoll.co.uk)

I'd love to hear your thoughts or feedback on this post, or any of my posts or work.


God bless,

Teresa 

PS. About the links to Singapore, please see my blog post Singapore and Christianity  



No comments:

Post a Comment