Monday 25 September 2023

Christ: A vision and blessing for parents!

 

A scanned picture from a calendar dated 2000

Hello and Welcome!

Thanks so much for stopping by. Today I am thinking of Christian parents with young children for whom they hope, that when they grow up, they will keep faithful to Christ. That prompts me to share a very powerful experience with you.  

One evening, years ago, I was at the gig of a friend's band, sitting beside his brother, Terry. I knew that he and his wife were lapsed Catholics (something about a quarrel with a priest over their wedding had stopped them going to church). We got chatting about his young daughter. I asked if she was Christened and he said she was. I asked him if he knew God. He looked puzzled. "Do I know Him," he said. I felt a bit puzzled myself as it was not a question I had ever asked anyone before, but I pressed on. I told him that I felt that the most important thing that a parent could do for their child was to introduce them to God. And to explain that He is with them. I said, "For one thing, if they ever feel afraid or lonely when you are not with them, they will know that God is with them." After that Terry sat up straighter and firmly promised that when his daughter was older, he would be proud to tell her about Christ! 

After Terry spoke those words, I looked up, and to the right of the stage Christ appeared and was beaming a smile at me. (It was actually the second time I'd seen Him, but the first time was entirely different. In fact, He looks different each time.) Later, I analysed the scene, but at the time of the vision, which lasted, maybe a couple of minutes, I kept glancing at Christ then looking away. I felt very shy of His smile, as He seemed to be telling me that He was very pleased with me. I said to myself, 'What have I said right?’

I can still, in my mind's eye, see that vision as clearly today as when I experienced it all those years ago. Here is what I saw:

It was as if Christ was appearing to me on a white screen - the kind I'd seen often in London clubs, where they bring a screen down to show a music video of the song the DJ is playing. The ‘screen’ was about, say, 10 x 6' (1.82m x 1.21m) I saw Christ from about the waist up, wearing a white robe. His hair was golden, his eyes bright twinkling blue, his smile white and beautiful. Years later I bought a calendar for the Millennium and when I saw in it the picture of Christ, which I share above, I was mesmerized as it so closely resembled Christ as He appeared to me that evening.

I have prayed about that vision, not knowing why I am so blessed with these visions because I am definitely NOT saintly, or special (we are all special to God, though). That evening, it is my belief that Christ was indeed pleased with what I had told Terry. That evening, those words, seemed not to be from me. I wonder if you too sometimes find yourself speaking about God in a way you never have before. I presume it is as in Mark 13:11 "Do not be anxious beforehand or premeditate what you will say, but say whatever will be given you in that hour. For it is not you who speak, but the Holy Spirit." I am convinced that the Holy Spirit was guiding my words that evening…

I’m sure that you have heard the saying: ‘A family that prays together stays together.’ I also feel strongly that this is the perfect way to instil the love of God into the whole family, and I speak personally as we did pray together as a family when I was growing up.

About praying as a family. If it's not something that you already do, but you would like to, in some way, here is a suggestion. Begin to say a prayer before you eat a family meal. You could introduce this by saying something like: “I've been thinking about all the poor people in this country / in the world, and I feel that our family is so blessed to have food to eat. So, I'd like us to say Thank You to God before we eat it.” 

There are many simple prayers for saying Grace before meals, the simplest I know is:

Dear Lord, 

For what I am about to receive I am truly grateful. Amen.

In my book Pray Then Listen I have a section called ‘Pray Before Eating’ where I address this issue and suggest adding onto the above this prayer:

Prayer of gratitude for food

Dear Lord, 

Thank You for blessing me with the gift of this nourishing food. I know that without You nothing would grow. In gratitude, as I eat, I will savour each mouthful.


At some point you could suggest that, as a family, in gratitude for your blessings, you could make a small donation to a charity for the poor. One of my favourite charities is Mary's Meals, who provide life-changing meals to some of the world's poorest children, every day they attend school. Here's a link to their website:  Also, for more info, please see my blogpost: Mary's Meals Deliver Food and Hope

Wishing you all the very best with the above.  Below I give details of my three books. You may even be blessed by simply checking out the link and taking a peek through, 'Look inside'...


I have been asking God for guidance and listening to His replies for many years. I share my methods in Pray Then Listen, A heart-to-heart with God.

Check out Pray Then Listen In UK / In US  / In Singapore

Available as a Kindle version or paperback! 


Set on the green and beautiful Greek island of Corfu in this novel I show the ever-present backstory of life, as I interpret the supernatural elements of our dilemmas and choices. 

I know, that no matter what your beliefs or experiences, you will surely recognize the tussles of my characters, as tussles in your own life....  Enjoy!

Click on the following links to check out my novel, Angel at the Paradise Hotel In UK /  In US / In Singapore

Available as a Kindle version or paperback!

I wrote 9 Days to Heaven, How to make everlasting meaning of your life as my personal evangelization effort.  

Check out 9 Days to Heaven In UK / In US / In Singapore 

Available as a Kindle version or paperback!


Here is the link for the YouTube book trailer:  9 Days to Heaven 


For articles, plus more info about me and my work please visit my website.  (www.teresaodriscoll.co.uk)

I'd love to hear your thoughts or feedback on this post.


God bless,

Teresa 

PS. About the links to Singapore, please see my blog post Singapore and Christianity  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment