Monday 18 December 2023

Advent Week Three: Give Thanks Always!


3-minute Bible reading and meditation

Hello, and welcome! 

Did you succeed in becoming more Forgiving through prayer last week? Forgiveness is a test that crops up repeatedly, but let’s keep, through God’s help, doing our best to carry it out. Already we have come to the third week in Advent. Christmas is fast approaching. But though surrounded by festivities, perhaps you don’t feel at all cheered by them. 

You could be in a financial crisis and unable to buy many presents or rich food. You may be grieving the loss of a loved one, living in a new place and feeling lonely, or in physical or mental pain. The list of potential woes is endless, so I know, in advance, that this topic too may be very challenging to you. Enter: Give Thanks Always!

 St Paul encourages us to do this. 

“Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.”   1 Thess 5:17-18

Though St Paul suffered greatly as he spread the Good News about Christ, his brave example must have had a huge strengthening impact on the new Christians. 

 If you are going through a very bad time and feel you have little to be thankful for you could bring this down to basics. For instance, you could thank God that you: Feel fit; have food to eat; a roof over your head; a loving family; and so on. In my book Pray Then Listen, I share that after hearing, once again, about someone who came through a near-death experience and decided to embrace each new day as a gift, I decided to do that too – but without the decision being a product of trauma. So, each day I say thank you to God for waking up, being able to see, hear and for my other senses. I recommend it.

Having said that, I am the first to admit that I don’t always feel as much gratitude for life as I’d like to. Then, I try to gain perspective through considering, for instance, the fact that many people did not wake up this morning, and of who did, lots will not have even their basic needs covered, nor have use of all their senses. Remembering the challenges of others can help to see our own worries in a better light. Leading us into gratitude to Christ for all His blessings. To think that over for a few moments use the following short, yet spiritually powerful, meditation.

Meditation

1. Sit up straight. Breathe in deeply through the nose. Hold a few seconds. Breathe out through the mouth and as you do so feel the whole of your body relax.

2. Now consider St Paul’s instruction on gratitude.

3. Read the above Bible quote of St Paul’s and ponder on it for a few moments.

4. Now say this prayer – or one of your own – “Dear Heavenly Father, I know that every breath and heartbeat is mine through Your gift, please help me to be thankful for all the blessings You provide, especially when I feel challenged and upset.  I ask this in the name of Your Son, Jesus Christ. Amen.”

5. When you are ready breathe in and out deeply as before. Then have a big stretch.

 May the Holy Spirit strengthen and guide you towards Thankfulness this week and always.

Do you find it hard to be thankful when you are going through a bad time? I'd love to hear how you turn back to gratitude. 

God bless,

Teresa x 

For articles, plus more info about me and my work please visit my website.  (www.teresaodriscoll.co.uk)

BOOKS! BOOKS! BOOKS! 

I have been asking God for guidance and listening to His replies for many years. I share my methods in Pray Then Listen, A heart-to-heart with God.

Check out Pray Then Listen In UK / In US  / In SingaporeIn New Zealand / In Australia

Available as a Kindle version or paperback! 


Set on the green and beautiful Greek island of Corfu in this novel I show the ever-present backstory of life, as I interpret the supernatural elements of our dilemmas and choices. 

I know, that no matter what your beliefs or experiences, you will surely recognize the tussles of my characters, as tussles in your own life....  Enjoy!

Click on the following links to check out my novel, Angel at the Paradise Hotel In UK /  In US / In Singapore / In Australia / In New Zealand

Available as a Kindle version or paperback!

You may like to see my blog on the Backstory of this novel

I wrote 9 Days to Heaven, How to make everlasting meaning of your life as my personal evangelization effort.  

Check out 9 Days to Heaven In UK / In US / In Singapore / In Australia / 

Available as a Kindle version or paperback!


Here is the link for the YouTube book trailer:  9 Days to Heaven 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment