Monday 11 December 2023

Advent Week Two: Forgiving Sets You Free!

 

3-minute Bible reading and meditation

Hello, and welcome! 

Do you feel that your soul is nourished by your spiritual activities of last week? I don’t know about you but I am already starting to feel that Advent is flying by and we’ve only completed one week! Let’s hang on in there. This week, as part of spiritual preparation for celebrating Christ’s birth and His Second Coming, I’m thinking about Forgiveness. Addressing this fundamental aspect of Christian living feels like part of my general tidying up for Christmas.

If you are carrying the burden of a grudge against someone, when you find the strength to forgive it can bring such relief.  Enter: Forgiving Sets You Free!

Holding tenaciously onto a grievance is nothing new to mankind. Remember, even the apostles brought up the matter with Christ.

Then Peter came up and said to [Jesus], “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him?” Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven.” Matt 18:21-22

Though Peter was willing to be forgiving, he clearly felt there must be a limit to it! But Christ put an end to that notion.  

I think you will agree that Forgiveness – by us and to us – is something that crops up regularly. Sometimes it causes us great pain. One day, talking about my book 9 Days to Heaven at a church service, I mentioned the chapter on Forgiveness. Afterwards, a woman confided she was very upset and quite desperate as she needed to forgive someone and didn’t know how. She had not planned to come to church that day and felt God had sent her there to buy my book.  

I admit that forgiving is not always easy. Occasionally I have to battle resentment and it takes deep prayer, and maybe time too, before I can find it in my heart to forgive. But I have met people over the years who will NOT forgive. You probably have met some too. Have you noticed that they are often bitter and unhappy? Even if that is not you or me, will you please join me, as a spiritual exercise in Advent, to become even more aware of those who need our forgiveness? To think that over for a few moments use the following short, yet spiritually powerful, meditation.

Meditation

1. Sit up straight. Breathe in deeply through the nose. Hold a few seconds. Breathe out through the mouth and as you do so feel the whole of your body relax.

2. Now consider that Christ has told us emphatically to forgive wrongs against us.  

3. Read the above Bible quote of St Paul’s and ponder on it for a few moments.

4. Now say this prayer – or one of your own – “Dear Lord Jesus, please help me to be forgiving to everyone who sins against me. And in doing so, please let me feel the freedom that brings. I ask this in the same name of Jesus Christ. Amen.”

5. When you are ready breathe in and out deeply as before. Then have a big stretch.

For the whole of Advent, and, hopefully, beyond, may we continue to forgive those who trespass against us.

Do you find it hard to forgive sometimes? I'd love to hear your thoughts on what works for you.

God bless,

Teresa x 

For articles, plus more info about me and my work please visit my website.  (www.teresaodriscoll.co.uk)

BOOKS! BOOKS! BOOKS! 

I have been asking God for guidance and listening to His replies for many years. I share my methods in Pray Then Listen, A heart-to-heart with God.

Check out Pray Then Listen In UK / In US  / In SingaporeIn New Zealand / In Australia

Available as a Kindle version or paperback! 


Set on the green and beautiful Greek island of Corfu in this novel I show the ever-present backstory of life, as I interpret the supernatural elements of our dilemmas and choices. 

I know, that no matter what your beliefs or experiences, you will surely recognize the tussles of my characters, as tussles in your own life....  Enjoy!

Click on the following links to check out my novel, Angel at the Paradise Hotel In UK /  In US / In Singapore / In Australia / In New Zealand

Available as a Kindle version or paperback!

You may like to see my blog on the Backstory of this novel

I wrote 9 Days to Heaven, How to make everlasting meaning of your life as my personal evangelization effort.  

Check out 9 Days to Heaven In UK / In US / In Singapore / In Australia / 

Available as a Kindle version or paperback!


Here is the link for the YouTube book trailer:  9 Days to Heaven 


 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment