Tuesday 18 October 2022

BBC’s First General Manager Did God’s Will

 




 


 

When Scottish-born engineer John Reith arrived in London in 1922 looking for work, he went straight to church seeking inspiration. There he heard a sermon which he felt was speaking directly to him. The minister said, “Is there someone here who will stand up for the soul of the nation?” And he thought, yes, that’s me. I will! When he subsequently got the job as General Manager of the BBC one of the first things he said was, “Book a vicar for Christmas!”

I heard this story on BBC’s Songs of Praise on 16th October and it set me thinking. Yes, this pioneering man, who in a few years became the BBC’s Director General, first sought God’s guidance. He found it. He took up the challenge and did what God wanted. In this he was following the example of Christ when He said, “My food is to do the will of Him who sent me and to accomplish His work.” Do you, in your life and dilemmas, seek to know God’s will?  If that is not already the habit of your worship you can choose, right now, to adopt it. Begin with the following prayer, or one of your own.

 Dear Heavenly Father,

I’m sorry that I have not paid close attention to Your will in the details of my life.

Please help me to start to do that from this moment on. I ask this is Jesus’ name. Amen.

Let me know how you get on with this!

 God bless

Teresa 

For more information on looking out for God's will check out my new prayer guide:

https://www.amazon.com/Pray-Then-Listen-Heart-Heart/dp/1789043697

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pray-Then-Listen-heart-heart/dp/1789043697

Please visit my  website for more info and inspiration https://www.teresaodriscoll.co.uk/


News News News!

My debut novel, Angel at the Paradise Hotel,  Christian fiction - Holidays-romance-suspense - is set in Corfu and features characters from Wales, America and Ireland. Find all the details here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment